• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am1 fuse blowing

dont know what the fk is going on!
    diving the jzz20
    down shifted hard and the dash went off but car still ran
    so i turned the key off and then tried to turn it back on but no dash lights/accesories would come on
    checked fuses and found am1 40amp blown.
    so as i didnt have any big fuses spare i used i think it was the am2 fuse in it
    turned the key and viola dash lights, accesories.ect working
    then took off a lil fast and bang lights out again.
    so turned car off and got back out to look to see wtf is going on
    couldnt see much as was dark. and the car wouldnt turn on again.
    made a gettoh spec fuseable link so i could just start the car then took it out and drove home carefully
    then after abit it started to splutter and loose power.
    so i just cruised it abit more till the splutter got worse and eventually slowed down to a hault.
    battery was dead!
    this is the point where i had to walk a bullshit distance to a petrol station to use their phone as my mobile was dead, like the car, to call and get someone to bring me a battery as i thought it would help.
    it worked enough to get me quickly home wich wasnt that far now

does the am1 fuse have something to do with the altinator charging the battery back up?
    does anyone know what the am1 fuse if for? or ideas for what could cause it to keep shitting itself everytime hard acceleation?

any help would be good
    cheers
    aron )
    Last edited by beava_aron; 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM.

Im thinking might be a short around engine bay
    Last edited by Z2TT; 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM.
    - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
    - All Circuits
    - Every Connector
    - Completely in English.

Comment

I've had a similar problem with my Soarer since I bought it.

There was an extra 60A fuse near the engine fuse block that kept blowing so I replaced it with a 100A circuit breaker (as a bandaid fix and to make it easy to reset). I also took the car to an electrician to fix but nothing was really done.

Symptoms that the breaker has been tripped:
      - When the car is warm and being thrashed the wipers go on once and the mirrors fold in.
      - It idles rough but seems to keep running.
      - Battery stops charging (checked on my Microtech dash)
      - Dash lights go off.
      - If I leave it idling it will eventually stall.
      - Turning the key off then on again gets no response except from the microtech.

When I reset the circuit breaker (if it lets me) everything goes back to normal. I've also noticed that it gets tripped off only when the thermo fan is on (new Davies Craig running through a 30A fuse controlled by Microtech), this also happened with the old crappy fan.

I've checked my AM1 fuse (40A) and I can't really see through the window to see it it is broken (have never thought to change it).

Here's a video with it being tripped off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V32gjioQLJY

Circuit breaker trips at 23sec dash lights and gauges go off at 30sec.

Will I be able to stop the problem if I take out some fuses which aren't being used? Interior lights, cig lighter etc. Or if I wire the fan on its own fuse from the battery?
      Soarer Motorkhana
      Soarer Drift
      Soarer Hillclimb
      Promo Video

Comment

What runs off that 60A Fuse? is it a factory 60A Fuse or one that somebody has added on?
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Z2TT View Post
          What runs off that 60A Fuse? is it a factory 60A Fuse or one that somebody has added on?
          Somebody has added it on. Almost everything runs off it (alternator, starter, dash, guages, wipers etc.). I can still use my lights, hazards and microtech. (that's all i've really needed to use when it has tripped)
          Soarer Motorkhana
          Soarer Drift
          Soarer Hillclimb
          Promo Video

Comment

You'll have to trace every single wire leading off it, measure amperage draw, without knowing exactly how it's wired up can't help.

It sounds like something shorting out, try manually trigger the thermo fan, does it blow then? Which Thermo fan are you running?
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

Manual trigger doesn't set it off. It's a Davies Craig 16inch fan. The problem was there with the old fans but it might be slightly worse now.

There's a bit of a birds nest of wiring under the fuse block that i'm avoiding. I should bite the bullet and try to re-do it all. There's just heaps more to tackle at the same time (remove air con, re-do intercooler piping, move battery to boot etc.)
              Soarer Motorkhana
              Soarer Drift
              Soarer Hillclimb
              Promo Video

Comment

I think you have a wire that is shorting out, if replacing a 60A fuse with a 100A CB and it is still tripping, it is a loose wire
                - All Circuits
                - Every Connector
                - Completely in English.

Comment

Working...
                X