dodgy conversion dramas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy conversion dramas

so I just got a gz20 with 1jz and auto out of z30 soarer. the conversion was done at a shop and its not all that great. so im having a few dramas just wondering if anyone had some advice...

speedo - reads fine but when not moving reads any speed but not all the time sometimes fine, but when it is reading a speed when stopped theres a spinning kind of noise coming from the dash..

tacho - doesnt work, not sure if its even hooked up, it should be possible to make it work?

auto - takes off in second but if you plant the foot a bit normaly kicks back to first but most of the time will just take off and stay in second, does it randomly tho sometimes good sometimes back hot or cold...if i put in L and take off it will take off normal and shift through gears fine, just seems when in d doesnt know what to do...maybe just need to adjust the cable from the tb to auto?

none of the pwr econ or o/d buttons are hooked up, can they be hooked up? or no point? has anyone modded the converter lock up to be able to lock it up manually with a switch?

any help would be great guys...

will be putting the battery in the back and fitting up a fmic with some custom piping this weekend hopefully

why don't you take it back to the shop that initially did the conversion and ask what the fuck you paid for? :P thats the first thing i would be doing, hopefully they would chose to take care of their customers and fix it?
    My One off, High expectation, z20 doridriftmobile.. Yeahhhhh buddy!!!

Comment

nah im the third owner from when the conversion was done, so i have to try and work out what they have done...lol

Comment

can anyone give me some advice on the speedo and tacho? should the tacho just be a wire from the 1jz loom to connect to the z20 dash? or does it need some sort of converter?

i ordered a oil cooler for the auto so hopefully keeps its a bit cooler and stops playing up...

dont you guys like new people on the forum?

Comment

its not that we dont like new people, theres a tech section for a reason. most of the info your after will be in there.
          1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
          1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

dont even try to hook up a switch to the torque convertor lock up it needs to unlock at certain times to save the gearbox destroying itself.. search supra stick on ebay, its an auto controller thats cheap as fuck and brilliant

as for takin off in second need to make sure the park neutrol switch and all the solenoids are wired in correctly, and check the kickdown cable adjustment

also, speedo and tacho wiring should be in the tech section, just need to search the forum, or private msg z2tt he's got a pritty good idea on the wiring
            House of Automotive .. 0412583177 .. ABN - 49 305 391 332
            Servicing, Repairs and Modifications to everything from Bunkys to Ferrari's all at the best prices

Originally posted by Axis Monkey
            Boris. She won't show you her boobs.

Comment

well i have been throught a few pages on each section on the forum and found stuff about speedo not working but no one had the problem of it reading speed when just sitting...just wasnt sure about the tach i did see for other ones its just a wire that needs to be connected from one loom to the other but then read about tach converters any stuff..

sometimes i think it takes off in 3rd too...im not really sure about autos prob sounds dumb but its a 3 speed with overdrive isnt it? can the o/d button be hooked up? cos when doing 60 it is in top gear. i read on another forum a guy had a switch on the dash and when went into second he flicked the switch to lock up the converter he reckons makes difference in strip times...i might have to do some more research about the autos

Comment

I sorted out my tacho it hadnt even been wired in(guess that costed extra)...I took the signal off the igniter and works sweet...still not sure about the speedo sometimes its fine then it will start reading random...maybe dodgy speed sensor...

I think the missing second gear problem has to do with the auto fluid getting cooked, stuck my head under this arvo and the trans lines to the cooler are finger width away from the dump pipe, the auto shifts fine at first then after driving for a while it loses second, so i wrapped everything up with some heat wrap so hopefully will keep some temp out of the auto...might look at moving the lines to away from the dump and flushing the fluid....

i found the pin outs for the solenoids and lock up and o/d buttom so will wire in the o/d button so i can turn it on and off and do some testing while driving to make sure the ecu is selecting the correct solenoids and lock up converter at the right time, maybe be over heating also from not having lock up....

slowly coming together, almost a half decent car

Comment

I sorted out my tacho it hadnt even been wired in(guess that costed extra)...I took the signal off the igniter and works sweet...still not sure about the speedo sometimes its fine then it will start reading random...maybe dodgy speed sensor...

I think the missing second gear problem has to do with the auto fluid getting cooked, stuck my head under this arvo and the trans lines to the cooler are finger width away from the dump pipe, the auto shifts fine at first then after driving for a while it loses second, so i wrapped everything up with some heat wrap so hopefully will keep some temp out of the auto...might look at moving the lines to away from the dump and flushing the fluid....

i found the pin outs for the solenoids and lock up and o/d buttom so will wire in the o/d button so i can turn it on and off and do some testing while driving to make sure the ecu is selecting the correct solenoids and lock up converter at the right time, maybe be over heating also from not having lock up....

slowly coming together, almost a half decent car

Comment

dont all reply at once but heres my latest progress

i wired in the power button but not sure if that makes any difference it revs past 6k before it changes either mode but least its one more thing thats hooked up properly, so next i wired in the o/d button, only to find I have a error code flashing so next step was to hook up the engine check light. (this must of been the bare min of conversions) so i got the engine check light hooked up and bridged the connector and got engine check like flashing(yay for little wins), so i was expecting some sort of trans code but i got error 14 which is something to do with the igniter not sending signal back to ecu??

im gona pull the battery off for a bit then recheck but does that sound weird?

Comment

Working...
                    X