1JZ-GTE into pre 89 GEN2 GZ20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1JZ-GTE into pre 89 GEN2 GZ20

Too many threads .. so many links.. so much information... so much to think about.
    theres needs to be a thread specifically for the pre 89 gen 2 gz20. so here it is.

for now this will just be a collaboration of the information ive found online to help me with my conversion. and once ive completed my swap i will take pictures and do a proper DIY guide aswell.

my motor is out of a jzx90... originally. and i bought it after it was yanked out of a written off diesel cresta. its a non VVTI twin turbo. the same as the jzz30 but with a front sump. (z20's require rear sump)

any corrections, additions, or other options are greatly appreciated, as i dont want to be spreading incorrect info.

MOUNTING

For the pre 89 models which do not have the revised crossmember. As some of the early 89 models came with the older square style mounts. there are two or three options
    1: A jza70 or a 89+ model crossmember will be required. both are complete bolt ins to your pre late 89 chassis as far as arms and powersteering go.

2: Have custom engine brackets made to re-use your existing rubber mounts. These are available to buy. But must be very accurate otherwise things will foul. Use common/wellknown sellers of these brackets. option 1 is recommended as some dont sit the engine correctly. will post links when i find them.

3: This is for the 1g and the 7m: There are suprasport motor mount brackets available to buy. these use your original square engine mounts. without having to change to the newer (round mount) crossmember. there are ones to suit early (square mounts) or late (round mounts) link:
    http://www.suprasport.com/86-89-1JZ-...ts_p_5439.html however at 200 dollars. not so cheap

Note: X and Z genuine mounts will not work, you need A mounts.

WIRING

To wire the motor into the car, find the function of each wire from the dash either with a multimeter or a wiring diagram/ecu pinout. and find and solder it to the corresponding wire on the jz loom. either using a multimeter or wiring diagram/ecu pinout

Heres a gen2 gz20 ecu pinout: http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9...gen2pinout.jpg
    Heres a jzz30 ecu pin out:
    http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...nouts-2211.pdf

A/C

the top housing plate on the A/C compressor for the 1JZ pump and 1G pump are interchangeable, so all your original lines will meet up.

Gearbox and tailshaft

the R154 is able to be mounted into the z20, as the R154 came factory on some z20 models. why they didnt all come factory like that i dont know...
    the z20 uses a digital speedo sender. and it will screw into your R154 no problems.

The rear half of the tailshaft for a soarer is different to the rear half of a supra. the front half of the jza70 R154 tailshaft will bolt to the rear half of your soarer tailshaft. the w57/8 frint half of the shaft will not fit the R154

thats it for today ill add the info i have for p/s, exhaust, radiator, cooling

P/S
    From Z2TT in regards to p/s being on opposite sides: you can either run a feed line from the original bottle to 1JZ Pump, or Install a bottle on the passengers side. JZA70 Setup will bolt in but hard to find, you can use bottle from another car and adapt to fit then run feed hose. High pressure line from a JZZ30 one will work.

WATER PUMP
    From Z2TT in regards to ditching the hydro and using 2jz-gte fan, clutch and pulley : Yes that pulley will work, you will need to see if the JZA80 fan will clear the factory Shroud, you will need to use a MZ20 or MA70 shroud for correct positioning. If it's the same size as a JZZ30 fan then it will work.

Note: If using a JZX90 or JZA70 1JZ-GTE with the hydro fan water pump and converting to a clutch/ electric fan; You will need to change both the waterpump and the rear water pump housing and use a JZZ30, 2JZ-GTE style non hydro fan water pump and rear housing. You will then need to souce a 2JZ-GE/GTE water pump pulley, or buy a new one ~$45
    Last edited by nalchlan; 25-07-2014, 10:58 AM. Reason: more info!

- Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
    - All Circuits
    - Every Connector
    - Completely in English.

Comment

fuck i love this forum. thank you very much for all the info

also, would a z30 crossmember for the 1jz be interchangable? theres one a 20 minute drive for sale north of me
      Last edited by nalchlan; 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Cannot use z30, Pretty much nothing from z30 fits z20.
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

no nothing from z30 fits according to everyone...
          (the crossmember wont)

89jz20's conversion in his mz was from a z30...
          It now belongs to v8gz20, and Im pretty sure its not rear sump (straight outta z30)

You can pretty much make anything fit into anything if youre good enough

also, see below:
          Last edited by B_JAY; 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM.
          Originally posted by coFF33
          Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
          Originally posted by GEEZ20
          quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
          7m

Comment

hello guys, i have crossmember from 1990 z20 and also r154 trans since it was 7m type. Also complete part out from jza70. do you not use harness and ecu from 1jz engine or no?

Comment

Yes You must use the ECU Harness from the 1JZ-GTE and the 1JZ-GTE ECU when doing the conversion..... then you join wires from your 1jz harness to your GZ20 Harness near the glovebox plugs, there is some guides if you search.
              - All Circuits
              - Every Connector
              - Completely in English.

Comment

ive added a bit more info and im gonna get stuck into this pretty soon.

Comment

Good Luck and ensure you do everything properly, For the fan I ended up upgrading my Clutch fan to a Thermo, using JZA70 Hydro Shroud and Bracket modified to fit a 17" Electric Fan.
                  - All Circuits
                  - Every Connector
                  - Completely in English.

Comment

thank you and i sure intend to. Im going to use au thermos as i already them

Comment

I got mounts ages ago without realising there are 3 types of mounts, the X for chaser, Z for soarer and A for supra. Ive got the Z mounts
                      This wont fit my jza70 crossmember will it?
                      Does anyone know what i have to do to make it fit?

Comment

Your going to need JZA70 Brackets, or custom brackets that are designed to give the same mounting position to clear everything.

Go custom ones to suit update A70 Crossmember, and you will need Round Rubber mounts for best result.
                        - All Circuits
                        - Every Connector
                        - Completely in English.

Comment

yeah i ordered some custom mount brackets for it.

Comment

I've been doing some research on this conversion. Slight update in avaliable parts.

Goleby's in QLD are making brackets for 1 and 2 JZ conversions for BOTH square and round engine mount cross members.

So no matter which GZ20 you have you can get parts in Aus.

Comment

Since some morons on this site think it's cool to charge people $200 for pinouts, here are some pinouts, free of charge...

Comment

Working...
                              X