1988 gz20 engine conversion !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 gz20 engine conversion !

hey guys ive recently just bought a 1988 toyota gz20 soarer not sure if series 1 or series 2 yet.... but im wanting to know what i would do to/ how to make my gz20 have a 1JZGTE but keep the auto trans from the 1GGTE...

could anyone give me any insight to this as i can pick up a 1jzgte cheap

from what ive read you would need the 1jz auto bellhousing, flex plate and torque converter from a jzz30 soarer. My concern would be, do a340(z20 box) and a340e's(z30 box) have the same size output shaft.

It would probably be easier just to get engine/gbox package from a z30. Ive seen some as cheap as 1500.

Or be a real man and get a manual :P
    1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
    1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

ah so basiclly just use the whole lot of the jzz30 and basic bolt up ?

also i wanna get it 1jz powered then get the manual parts saved up ready for the conversion haha

Comment

Do as much research as possible before going the auto 1j route, im just relaying what ive heard and read not from experience.

Honestly if i was you just hold out until the right manual setup pops up. You will save money in the end.
        1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
        1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

yeah im honestly thinking of just manual convert my 1ggte to manual instaed of gay auto haha

Comment

If you do that, Remember :

- 1G Box may not be as strong as 1JZ A340E.

- If you have Gen 1 Soarer, You will have to wire it in back to the factory 1G ECT ECU which requires lots of wiring to be run.
            Parts off the 1G-GTE loom can be used to do this as it has all the correct plugs that allow you to plug it into your body loom but you will need to traverse the wires back and forth and extend them to make your own transmission loom.

if you have Gen 2 Soarer you will need to control the box using the 1JZ Main ECU, which will throw a code if you use a 1G Autobox as it wont accept the speed signal from the 1G-GTE Box.

So instead of keeping the 1G Box, Get yourself a JZZ30 Autobox with the loom and so long as your engine has a JZZ30 Loom, it will all plug in and work. You will need to re-use your Extension housing off your 1G Autobox on the 1JZ Box then Re-use your No.2 Speed Sensor off the 1JZ Box into your 1G Extension housing that you will put into your 1JZ Box and it will work great.

Your 1G-GTE with a Manual will go great, Intake and Exhaust mods then wind the boost up and an FCD or either adjust the AFM Spring a few clicks tighter but do it on a dyno. SAFC can help gain a little bit of power if you like.

If you actually want the car to pull hard and to be worth the effort, get a JZA70 Manual front cut. Transfer the gear over and it bolts upto your z20. I can make you a plug and play loom if you send me the 1JZ and 1G Loom.
            Last edited by Z2TT; 01-04-2013, 01:37 AM.
            - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

ahhkays thanks Z2TT for the advice/info !

well since ive read that i might just do the manual conversion to the 1G-GTE ive been told they go pretty hard for what they are. and to do the manual conversion its just pretty much all a70 stuff yes ? ( what i have been reading up on forums )

Comment

No Not every a70 Manual box will work, it has to be a W57 or W58 Box, then you need all the supporting gear like clutch master and slave, pedals clutch flywheel etc.
                - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
                - All Circuits
                - Every Connector
                - Completely in English.

Comment

ah okays thanks for the confirmation Z2TT i really appreciate that

Comment

Working...
                  X