Gearbox options for 1JZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox options for 1JZ

Hey guys, I'm planning at putting a non vvti 1JZ I bought into my 86 GZ20 at some point in time. It seems that not only are R154's expensive but also hard to come by. Then you have to get a non remote shift one and a drive shaft etc. With it all said and done it looks like it could cost at least 2500. My engine has a Chinese GT35R copy on it so with the rest being standard I can't see it making over 300hp at it's age on 14psi.
    Would a W58 tolerate for a long time this with some quality g/box oil in it? Steel sandwhich plate one?
    It wouldn't be thrashed, maybe occasionally shifted quick/hard and a few hard launches. No burnouts/drifting etc.
    Also what about a J160 6 speed from an IS200? I saw some guy on here was running one, not sure if JZ or 1G.
    Basically what will fit and work... that isn't as expensive as an R154 if there's anything.
    Cheers
    86 mica red GZ20 manual

W58 Can work and is a cheaper option but not as strong, people have broken them while others have had no problems at high power, a lot would depend how you drive the car.
    - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
    - All Circuits
    - Every Connector
    - Completely in English.

Comment

should go back to the stock twins if you are only chasing 300rwhp. HTH

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        @Z2TT, do steel sandwhich plate W58's fit nicely or does the shifter set up fuck things up?

@enflamed, I've thought about it but I don't reckon I'd be able to get a pair of twins in good condition for the amount I'd sell my current T4/GT35 setup. I am keen to lose the external wastegate though...
        86 mica red GZ20 manual

Comment

Yes you will get a good pair of twins for that amount, and a set of aftermarket dump pipes for them too. Forget the GT35 unless you want to make big power and in that case I would do it on a 2JZ not a 1JZ.
          - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
          - All Circuits
          - Every Connector
          - Completely in English.

Comment

Working...
          X