Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5" In doors, Possible?

Hi,

I have some 6.5" Speakers and I am wondering if they can be fitted in the doors without

1. Having the Magnets scrape on the Window

2. Without Having the door trim Scrub on the speaker cone.

Has anyone done it?

Thanks.
    - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
    - All Circuits
    - Every Connector
    - Completely in English.

Originally posted by Z2TT View Post
    Hi,

I have some 6.5" Speakers and I am wondering if they can be fitted in the doors without

1. Having the Magnets scrape on the Window

2. Without Having the door trim Scrub on the speaker cone.

Has anyone done it?

Thanks.
    ive got 6x9s in my doors and they fit, but i will b swapping them for some new 6.5" splits later on
    SNS

Comment

I managed to do it when I had my soarer.. made a mount from MDF using the existing mount holes for the factory soeaker box's. Took a few goes to get it right (ie not fouling the door trim etc) but it is definately possible!

Comment

Yeah getting the door trim to clear the speakers is the hardest bit.

I made a thread on the guides section about installing speakers, have a look. Explains the clearance issues and how to avoid them.
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

Have a look at the tread about removing door trims. I kinda made a 'how to', and it shows my door speakers. 6.5" pioneers in there.
          Pulled apart and gone: 400rwhp JZZ20
          Member Thread: http://www.z20soarer.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162

Comment

Also, careful when putting the door trims back on.... You have to actually lift the door trim a bit above the door and then put it "Over" the door, notice at the top of the door trim there is a metal rail, this has to sit ontop of the metal rail on the door.
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

hey guys, i know this thread is pretty inactive but someone probably still wants to mount speakers in their door here and there. like me . i did it today and sort of bucked the trend ive been seeing on here and mounted my 6" speakers to the actual door trim instead of to the door. works a treat. just thought id share ha

Comment

could maybe use factory a70 6 inch pods if you could find them...

Im happy with my 2x alpine 25w 4 inch, my whole system
                Originally posted by coFF33
                Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
                Originally posted by GEEZ20
                quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
                7m

Comment

I replaced mine with good quality 4"splits using the standard speaker boxes and the front staging was awesome. I generally listen to music at a resonable level so sound quality was a major part in my purchase, as was keeping the speaker boxes.

Comment

I managed to fit 6" 4way pioneers inside the door. It was a pain in the arse getting the mounting plate I made clear the door trim though lol. It was also a pain in the arse getting the wiring through the rubber tube that goes back into the body!

Also I remember reading somewhere on here that the plastic liner in the door should be kept. Well I did this and then found that the bass was smashing into the plastic causing a weird drum like sound that sounded shit. So in my opinion, ditch the plastic.

Comment

i ripped out all the plastic liner, was all hanging off and ratty as shit anyway. wouldnt do much for vibration reduction or anything.

yeah the convenience of mounting the speaker to the door trim itself means theres no chance of a making a mount on the door fouling the door trim when you put it back on

Comment

when i was fiddling with my wires, blowing fuses and whatnot, i couldnt seem to find the wires for my front speakers

this has got me wondering if there are even any in there, so how do i access them

remove whole door trim? if so how?
                        Grey '86 Z20, Full silver kit, Factory manual + few little things. Very slowly progressing

Comment

Oh yeah, I managed to fit the 6.5" Speakers without any problems at all with enough space for them not to foul, I used the door switch hole to look through.
                          - All Circuits
                          - Every Connector
                          - Completely in English.

Comment

should keep the plastic liner, its there to stop leaks is it not?
                            Originally posted by coFF33
                            Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
                            Originally posted by GEEZ20
                            quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
                            7m

Comment

Yea thats its purpose, to stop any water that comes down from the windows getting into the door electronics/speakers etc... i'd advise keeping it
                              "I was doing fine, right up until mid corner, where I ran out of talent" - DNF racer.

Comment

Working...
                              X