turbo options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo options

yes i know it sounds like nissansilvia.com but just got back tax and wanting an upgrade. ive got mannie 1j on stock ceramics.

ideally, id love to go garret gt30r or gt35r but my budget only about 3000, maybe 3500. by the time i source manifold, external gate, not sure on water or oil lines? dump etc id itd be a pretty expensive job. a cheaper option would be steel wheeling the stockos and new dump, hence retaining stock oil/water lines and whatnot.

after a decent whack of power but dont want too much lag. after recommendations?
    stock auto white gz20 daily, SOLD

brown gz20 with 1jz and r154, JIC coils, safc 2, locker, straight pipes and garrett gt3540 with external wastegate

you should be able to do a GT35 for around 3500.. isn't the turbo only like 1700ish? + about 6-7 hunge for a good manifold + a few hunge for lines and anciliaries..

im tempted to get a big single T70 on my jzx90 myself and move my steel wheel CT12's to the soarer. T70 = $950ish. + Mani - $500ish? (lines included)

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
    | Black Knight
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
    B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

Originally posted by hamgatan View Post
      you should be able to do a GT35 for around 3500.. isn't the turbo only like 1700ish? + about 6-7 hunge for a good manifold + a few hunge for lines and anciliaries..

im tempted to get a big single T70 on my jzx90 myself and move my steel wheel CT12's to the soarer. T70 = $950ish. + Mani - $500ish? (lines included)
      t70 might be a tad laggy, gets slid quite a bit. what rpm would boost come on with t70? also thinking of getting ebay manifold and strengthening corners with welds

brown gz20 with 1jz and r154, JIC coils, safc 2, locker, straight pipes and garrett gt3540 with external wastegate

Comment

try Justjap.com and look at their JJR manifold for 1JZ. I think thats the one i have ready for mine (i bought mine cheap 2nd hand)
        Pulled apart and gone: 400rwhp JZZ20
        Member Thread: http://www.z20soarer.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162

Comment

all good to say do for $3500

but doing those things becomes a lot of other things if you want to do properly.

need to look other things that will come into play
          for instance

cooler piping will need to be changed (not a biggy)
          then youve got the whole tune issues with AFM etc
          then leaning out (maybe)
          then timing

all these things add up to a good reliable car!

could go a SAFC and ADJ cam gears to get out out the way....but then once you start getting decent flow AFM comes into play

so it certainly starts to add up and unless your going to do it properly maybe stick with a decent set of highflows and the minor mods and youll be able to get 300hp easy enough

Comment

Yeah I reckon for $3500 it's do-able.. before tuning the SAFC on a dyno etc.

Here's my guestimation breakdown (note I havn't done the single conversion yet but have collected all the major parts except the turbo)
            GT3x 1700
            wastegate 400
            manifold 400
            SAFC 200 from yahoo
            dump/screamer pipework 300?
            cooler piping 100?
            oil/water lines and fittings 100-150

All up that's $3250, then you just have to tune the SAFC after that.
            Last edited by jabtronic; 15-07-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by driftedmz20 View Post
              could go a SAFC and ADJ cam gears to get out out the way....but then once you start getting decent flow AFM comes into play
              Where might i find this afm you speak of? I'm having a little trouble locating it on a 1jz.. :P

1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
              | Black Knight

Comment

Go to ATPturbo.com, very good prices on both turbos and wastegates!
                Try the JJR manifold if you like.
                Cooler pipes will cost a lot if you go 2.5" or 3" mandrel bends. 4 3" mandrels here will cost me $125, then welding etc, and thats just the throttle side of the cooler. Big front mount: got to justjap again, $180ish for a 600x300x75
                Any other goodies ie DSEBC, cam gears etc, go to nengun.com
                Pulled apart and gone: 400rwhp JZZ20
                Member Thread: http://www.z20soarer.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes piping ain't cheap. I paid $25-30 for 3" mandrel bends from memory.

Also I got quoted $300 from an import mechanic mate to get the dump and intake piping piping made up when I eventually go single.. so I was basing my price off that.

Comment

cheers for feedback guys.

already have custom 3" cooler piping (by me!) and massive greddy cooler.
                    no piggyback for now, but running on maybe 10-12psi should be ok till i get a tune.

im currently looking for single turbo kit, seen a few good gt30r full kits on soarer central for cheap, i know illl evntually regret not going single so might aswell do it right the first time!

Comment

T70 may be a tad laggy. i don't know though as I havent had my hands on one to find out.

Mates just got one set up on his 2JZ as a big single but we havent had a chance to see how deadly a weapon it is yet because he still needs to get his LTX12S tuned first. Microtech base maps are a pita.

That said the T60 might be a better option. They're still a 600hp turbo and a little cheaper ($850'ish)

| Black Knight

Comment

could always go a full Greddy kit for it like a td06sh-25g or something......will make good power and not that expensive

can be picked up within budget

Comment

I'm running a GT3076r on a XS-Power Manifold, works exceptionally well

Go for the 0.8 housing though, the 0.6 is what I normally run in the drift car & it'd be somewhat lively for road car!! 0.8 is much nicer, smoother boost etc

I have 0.6/0.8/1.02 housing here & have played around with all of them.
                          EDC/D1 Spec Drift Z20 Soarer, 1JZ'd GT3076r Competing all over Europe

Comment

i can vouch for XSpower manny. have one on my rb26 making 380ish rwkw without an issue...

havent seen them on ebay anymore but can be bought direct from their website

Comment

The manifold I've got sitting here is XS-Power also, it seems to have a longer wastegate pipe than those other ebay manifolds.. which is good because it will clear the steering shaft on my MX83.

EDIT: Linky http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=271
                              Last edited by jabtronic; 16-07-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X