jzz20 LSD advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jzz20 LSD advice

Hey guys I'm looking at getting an lsd now although i know my tyres are shit any slight power in this dam wet weather is sup a scary no traction slides crazy outa control. I have no clue as to what types are best to have and which ratio would suit me I've done bit of reading up and understand how the basics is but if you could enlighten me would be awesome. I am currently contemplating a reconditioned Toyota Soarer GZ20 LSD 4.55 thoughts?, my aim is to have control in wet weather and drifts in dry if thats even possible... excuse my noobness thanks

Most of the LSD centres (OEM) for Supra/Soarer will be a mechanical clutch pack type. You can get aftermarket 1.5 and 2-ways, also a Torsen out of some 91/92 model Supras.

Ratios, almost anything is available (whether from Supra/Soarer/Cressida or Hilux). The higher the number, the more acceleration you'll feel and the higher the revs you'll be doing at any given speed (100kph for instance).

My personal preference is for a high as shit ratio (4.556:1 or higher numbers) to get as much acceleration and fun out of the 1G. Others prefer having a lower ratio for better fuel economy etc.

Please note, my use of the terms "high" and "low" are in reference to the numbers, most common use is reversed and refers to "high" ratios as a lower number and vice versa.
    Moo

Comment

4.556:1 is great for straight up acceleration.. but shit for top speed. Usually they max out and redline 5th gear at around 185-190kph

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
      1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
      | Black Knight
      JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
      GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
      B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

cool thx wat diff between 1 and 1.5 and 2 way advantages?

Comment

whats best place(which car) to get a lsd from for gz20...is there any locker kits out there for them?

Comment

Yes. It's called Mig Wire

Don't get a two way of you're daily driving it. They're noisy, and unpredictable. I have a Kaaz 1.5 Way and it's pretty nice.

Benz check your firewall plate. If it says G254 on it anywhere then you have a 4.556:1 already but word of advice. This is not a LSD. There isn't a 4.556:1 LSD in these either.. I think the highest available LSD ratio was around 4.33 (correct me here someone. I'm almost certain I've got that wrong)

Cheapest option for you. Find a JZA70 Torsen LSD. Will cost about 400. It's a G series diff so it'll bolt straight up. That said its viscous not mechanical so the life of the diff will be considerably less than a mechanical one if you decide to engage in drifting in the dry as you put it.

That's where I'd go a MA70 Mechanical 3.9:1. On a 1J this means you won't be doing 6500rpm in 5th at 180kph.

The best thing you can do is get new tyres first and foremost if you're losing traction. And I don't mean Nankangs. Get something decent (I.e RE050A, RE001 Potenza). A LSD won't help you of you have shit tyres.
            Last edited by hamgatan; 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM.

1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
            | Black Knight

Comment

ive also seen rebuild kits fromt the us for the g series that turn them into a proper fuctioning lsd as there just weak from standard(clutch pack) maybe it was called max grip they had a few stages from street to locker strength.

there was also a thread on toymods about installing a stiffer spring into them differance was night and day apparently.
              http://garageslipway.wordpress.com/sigpic

Comment

my diff came so close to getting welded, guy at work almost covinced me but i talked him into doing his el falcon first now he wishes he didnt do it so im not really that keen to weld it, just makes it shit for a daily....

yeah i know what you mean about the lsd, on my ute its only done about 70kks and its already starting to do 1 wheelers every now and then(altho i tend to do alot of 60k steps off in second and leave black lines up the street)

so jza70 , ma70 fit what else? cressida? just for when looking on ebay and stuff search soarer diff or supra diff and its jza80 or jzz30...pitty it isnt a ford diff can get a mech lsd for $400 from the states

3.9 would be good for street and fuel, but 4.5 is so punchy with the auto, would need high stall for 3.9s

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Su...item589014424f

so what is 1.5 - 2 way etc, cant be bothered searching google...all i know is it makes you drift good in gt3 with ya 1000hp skyline

Comment

2 way means the lsd locks with acceleration and deceleration, 1.5 way means it would only have half the locking force of a 2 way on decel but locks up the same on accel,

cressida should be the same also for mx83,jzx81 and 90
                    obx has helical lsd's for under $200 on ebay dunno if there any good for anything tho

Comment

OBX are great... As paperweights

| Black Knight

Comment

lol yea i would not invest, i was happy enough with my locker would like to get a hilux spool in there next, heaps lighter then diff full of weld

lol turns out its only 3 kg
                        Last edited by slipway; 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I daily drove mine with a 2-way before I got the Rocky. Its not too bad so long as you clutch in when parking or making u-turns (legally) etc. It does carry on a bit if you do have to accelerate when parking or reversing though.

I had a locker in my old car (bluebird) and I hated it. Absolute dog of a thing to live with daily. It was just shit all the time. Understeer, noisey and made the arse end feel like it was trying to tear its self away from the car. Turns out it was and I had to get the trailing arm mounts reinforced.

Comment

i had a welded diff in my 4b it was alrite cos had big wheels and low gearing, but for a daily street car isnt that fun...

so whats wrong with the obx ones? i looked them up on ebay, pretty cheap...

Comment

so ours are the 8" and the newer supra soarer is 8.7"?

in my 4b it had hilux diffs i thought the open had heaps smaller bearing then the lsd(went through 2 lsds and a open) maybe wrong.

so this should fit right?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Su...item1c202dd5d5

or the obx

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180793656208

im temped to try the obx but they dont have a good rep...

Comment

Working...
                              X