• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU thermo fan install

Hey guys,

Who here has done this?
    Does anyone have pics?

I searched but couldnt find much, I know coff33 did it but there not much in his thread about how it was done, and not many pics (post 64 or something in his thread)

I just got some EL thermos that I plan to use (almost the same as AU from what I understand) and I want to know
    1. who cut what where to make them fit?
    2. how do people choose to secure them in place?
    3. has anyone bothered to make sure the shroud was sealed air tight?

Ill post pics etc. once I get my laptop fixed
    Originally posted by coFF33
    Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
    Originally posted by GEEZ20
    quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
    7m

have a look in my thread i covered how i did it in there. i didnt make em perfectly air tight and they still push a fuckload of air past the motor but the real test will be when its on the road.

i just made grooves in the bottom of the shroud to slot into the stock radiators tabs and the screwed 2 holes at the top of each corner for the stock bolt positions and bought some longer bolts to bolt it on. i had to trim a fair bit of the shroud in various places to get it to sit straight and flush.

its pretty straight forward once you get the bottom part attatched.
    1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
    1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

awesome, cheers dude

Im using a koyo and it doesnt have that slot on the bottom, but ill get it to work
      Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it

7m

Comment

Yo Bjay,
        i didnt put much infor in my thread about it , because its so easy.

Cut slots in the shroud of the fans for the top and bottom pipes of your rad.
        Drill 2 holes in the top of the shroud and use 2 x 10mm longish bolts to attach the top to your radiator mount points
        I cable tied the bottom mount points to the bottom of my rad with big thick cable ties.

Cut the annoying tabs off from around the edge of the shroud

use 1 30amp relay for each fan to control them

coFF33.wordpress.com

Comment

cheers coff, i finished all the cutting last night, just waiting for hoses to arrive to test fit it all, make sure they fit nice before it goes in....

The only thing Id like to know is what are the 20mmx160mm slots in the sides for, and should they be blocked? (do you guys even have these?)

From what Ive seen in the pics, mine is different from yours and vash's
          But we're all using different radiators
          I chose to keep the beware of fan sticker and tab its stuck onto, but and to cut around the lower hose to do so...
          This was more so I was able to bolt mine at the bottom

I had to cut the lower left corner off for my drain plug and cut a slot for my temp sensor, and also cut the top tab that didnt have a sticker as my top tank is not flat
          Im going to use a small L bracket on one of the bottom holes of the rad to attach to the bottom of the shroud, as a straight bolt would go through the fan

I want to wire mine in series (2 fans@1/2 speed) for mid range temps and parallel (2 fans@full speed) for higher temps/air con (low temps will be off)
          I have a diagram for this on my laptop, I forget but I think it takes 3-4 relays
          Some of the fords ran factory setups like this, and even had a setting between the 2 im running of 1 fan@full speed
          I dont know if this will work if I use the microtech to control the thermos, I think Id have to run it off a thermo switch

Ill post pics for people when I can, but for now here's vashs on a stock rad and coff33s on a s13 rad

Originally posted by VasH
          got stuck into a few things last night and managed to get the thermo fans mounted to the radiator, alot easier than id imagined. basically make 2 horizontal holes in the base of the thermo's to mount onto the radiators bottom supports. cut away the mounts on the left and right hand side that overhang, remove the lip at the top and cut a hole for the radiator cap and top radiator hose, drill 2 holes in the thermos to line up with the old bolt holes up the top you will need longer bolts to reach i had some lying around luckily. then you get this -

Hey dudes,

Worked on the drift car last night for an hour or 2 installing AUFalcon Thermo Fans on my S13 triple core , getting ready for collie drift assault (2 day drift extravaganza) coming up in 2 weekends from now.

Installed them , and ran car idle and revving slightly untill it reached 100deg (gauge going nuts beeping) not actually driving, but stationary in my garage with around 32 deg air temps in Perth

Switched teh thermos on. and i dropped from 100degrees, to 70degrees in approx 1 min.

Keep in mind, that the car was stationary with barely any air RAM happening as i wasnt moving getting airflow.

AU Thermos are fucking amazing. End of story.

7m

Comment

nawww :'( makes me miss my Z20 a bit seeing those pics .
            coFF33.wordpress.com

Comment

Pixors!

I havent drilled any holes for the bolts yet, but its I nice fit
              I think Im gonna fill these gaps on the side, as I see no use for them...
              I may also try to fill and seal the gap between the hoses and shroud somehow, like a rubber seal or something (maybe a bit of overkill)
              I havent cut all the tabs off yet either, just the one I needed to remove to get it into the engine bay
              I might use the top tabs to mount stuff on, so will leave them on till a later day

not fair, coff33 got a "danger" sticker too
              Last edited by B_JAY; 28-09-2011, 03:06 PM.

7m

Comment

not to sure if i read some where that ef or el thermo's are thinner?

Comment

EL are thinner.. if your having clearance problems.
                  AU are fine tho, even with a triple core like i had.

Aron, Remove the tabs on the sides they are annoying and get in your way.
                  To close the gaps on the side, simply goto bunnings and get some thin ass alloy sheet. Cut sections out slightly larger than the gaps , and just drill 2 holes in each alloy piece, and screw them into the shrouding on the side.

easy as!
                  coFF33.wordpress.com

Comment

the only reason I went el is because they were free off of a mate
                    When he gave them to me he said that el were better than ef, but I didnt ask why...
                    I think 1 difference between the au's and el's is they have 1 plug for the 2 fans instead of a plug each
                    One has side by side fans, while others are offset like mine, but I dunno which ones are which
                    dimensions are pretty much the same, the difference is minimal

Thats pretty much what Im gonna do coff, unless someone can tell me why I should leave the gaps
                    Last edited by B_JAY; 29-09-2011, 12:04 PM.

7m

Comment

FML! these still didnt fit...
                      I spent yesterday arvo trimming a section that hit the clutch on the aircon...
                      This wouldnt be an issue if my rad was 48mm or smaller, but its 52mm
                      I had to strip out the left fan and cut a 10cm circle about 3-4mm deep
                      I also had to replace a bolt on the fan with a shorter one, so it didnt stick out of the shroud
                      Now, I still need to remake 1 piece of my cooler piping to make it all fit
                      pic to come

7m

Comment

Wat are those fans out of i need a fan setup for my 1jz conversion. How are they controlled. Are they set up to come on and go off when it reaches a certain temp??

Comment

They're from a falcon. I've got some for sale on this forum if you want to check them out?
                          Soarer Motorkhana
                          Soarer Drift
                          Soarer Hillclimb
                          Promo Video

Comment

Do you need a seperate fan controller orhow do they work i mite be interesred alrite

Comment

easiest way to do it - pay $50 for a thermostat / controller unit on ebay, or just get bi-metal thermostat from JayCar for $3.50 hook your trigger wire from an ignition wire through the thermostat and back to the relay and areldite it to the side of the radiator... you can get 50, 75, 100 degree thermostats.

I got a 75 on my z20 with dual AU thermo's hooked up... works a treat
                              BA XR6 - daily
                              1987 MZ21 - Thank you Guilty
                              MZ20 - Sold
                              GZ20 - Sold
                              RJ70 - 22RE - Beach basher.

Comment

Working...
                              X