Are these guys serious?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these guys serious?

I went to EP today to get quoted for an exhaust system. 3" all round with a custom dump pipe and the guy told me $1450. isn't that a little high?

I was also quoted $1400 to have the car lowered.

Is this extreme too?

Aleks

hell yes it is.

You have an MZ20. A custom catback should cost you $400 thereabouts. A Highflow Cat maybe $300, And Custom Dump shouldn't be more than $200. $900 tops. Go see Exhaust Technology on Goodwood Road in Clarence Park. Bit of a drive from where you are but bit better price/service.

$1400 to have it lowered is way high as well. A set of springs costs like $400 tops from front and rear Kings. Plus about $1-200 to put them in.

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
    | Black Knight
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
    B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

The custom dump pipe is likely to be in the vicinity of $4-500 so the exhaust price probably isn't actually too bad. Even with a group buy our 3" dumps were about $350, and then you still need the downpipe to go from that to the cat.

As for lowering the car, yes hella high. Lowering springs should be $3-400 and $100 to install them (2 hours labour tops if they're competent). Sounds like that price might have been for a set of coilovers? At least I hope it was...
      Moo

Comment

its not a 1J Poony... its a 7M. Dump is a 1 piece from Turbo Elbow to cat. 1J turbo's yes.. $500 is to be expected, but not on a 7M

1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
        | Black Knight

Comment

I thought so.

My mate drives a VT and his system cost him only $570

So, what should i get done first? exhaust or lowering?

Also Ham, how do you know where I live? :O

lol

Aleks

Comment

get it lowered first i reckon, handling in a soarer i reckon is more important.

I got quoted something ridiculous like that even with dumps supplied...... then i asked carline it was like 500$ cheaper
            1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
            1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

Originally posted by hamgatan View Post
              its not a 1J Poony... its a 7M. Dump is a 1 piece from Turbo Elbow to cat. 1J turbo's yes.. $500 is to be expected, but not on a 7M
              Yes I'm aware of that, all the prices and information I quoted was from experience with my old MA70 supra.

They are not a one piece, the turbo elbow is a simple 90 degree bend, then the downpipe runs from that to the cat. As stated before, even with a group buy from memory these turbo elbow's were aproximately $350, and thats the most important part as it makes significant different to the torque and driveability of the vehicle.

I paid $500 for a 3" cat back with single muffler, $630 for 2" into 2.5" collector and about a metre of piping on my JZX... so the other factor to consider is the price of raw material having increased so much lately.

I'm not saying $1450 is a fair and reasonable price, all I'm saying is its not too far out of the realm of possibility, especially using 3" stainless with mandrel bends and 2 high quality high flow mufflers plus a high flow cat.
              Moo

Comment

Originally posted by Glavas View Post

Also Ham, how do you know where I live? :O

lol

Aleks
                It says it under your avatar
                Pulled apart and gone: 400rwhp JZZ20
                Member Thread: http://www.z20soarer.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162

Comment

Originally posted by JZZ20 View Post
                  It says it under your avatar

Yes, but he told me a particular suburb is far away from me :P

Which it is, considering i've never heard of it, but he seems to know exactly where in adelaide i am :P

Aleks

Comment

ET will still be $1200+ for turbo back. Wheelworx will do the springs at a decent price too.
                    1986 JZZ20

Comment

He can probably see your IP address...

Comment

Originally posted by Glavas View Post
                        Yes, but he told me a particular suburb is far away from me :P

Which it is, considering i've never heard of it, but he seems to know exactly where in adelaide i am :P

Aleks
                        and also you pm'ed it to me to send stickers out mr goldfish memory

(btw i lived in radelaide for 3.5 years, so i know where most shit is )

Originally posted by Looonie View Post
                        They are not a one piece, the turbo elbow is a simple 90 degree bend, then the downpipe runs from that to the cat.
                        yeah i know the elbow is separate. didn't realise it was such a restriction though on the 7M. I thought only the 1J/1G had those restrictive ports.. still.. $350 for a small 90 degree pipe is a bit steep.
                        Last edited by hamgatan; 23-09-2008, 09:19 AM.

| Black Knight

Comment

Originally posted by hamgatan View Post
                          and also you pm'ed it to me to send stickers out mr goldfish memory

(btw i lived in radelaide for 3.5 years, so i know where most shit is )
                          OH MY GOD

DUH lol

I was wondering how you knew exactly where i lived in adelaide.

ok, delete this thread go go go! before anyone else sees this! lol

Aleks
                          Last edited by Glavas; 23-09-2008, 09:18 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Working...
                          X