overboosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overboosting?

Hey guys i noticed now after i installed coFF33s old drift pig i/c piping and cooler kit my turbos are boosting much higher. They never been hooked up to boost controller as yet and they were running 10psi constant no real major leaks with standard stock piping and cooler. But now with my new setup its reaching higher levels like 13psi and staying constant on this now and i havnt even yet got to put a boost controller on. Does this mean my turbos are allowing much more air to flow than what it was originally set at since of piping restriction?

That is definately the case, the factory coolers are really restrictive.

Comment

Yep, my 1j went from 5psi to 12psi when i got a decent cooler and smashed out the cat
      500rwhp 86 JZA70 aerotop, in the build!
      300zx crappy nissan daily
      R6 to keep up with the monkeys jz..

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbit View Post
        Yep, my 1j went from 5psi to 12psi when i got a decent cooler and smashed out the cat
        those darned broomstick handles eh

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
        1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
        | Black Knight
        JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
        GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
        B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

mine only went from 8 psi - 9psi when i put on 600x300 cooler but also have 3inch piping so maybe bit of boost drop...have you done any exhaust mods aswell? usualy you can do intake or exhaust but both together normaly ended up at over boost city...

Comment

well i/c pipingis like 2.5 for a bit and rest is 3inch. The exhaust is 3 inch custom mild dump, stock cat (needa get a hiflow from some1) and rest is 3inch straight no mufflers just a big cannon with silencer. Albeit much better highend power with no silencer .

Comment

i would be checking out all the hoses to the wastegate and make sure the gates are opening properly. seems like its overboosting alot...i have 2.5 inch hot side piping and 3inch cold side....is yours twin turbo? you still have the stock dumps then 3inch off that?

Comment

My wastegates hoses seem fine, its a customer mild 3inch dump made for the standard twins, ive noticed it still runs shit in hot days, miust be my thermostat playing up, tho nights or cold days are very good for the engine boosting with power and not feel like boosting for nothing.

Originally posted by turbo_guy View Post
                i would be checking out all the hoses to the wastegate and make sure the gates are opening properly. seems like its overboosting alot...i have 2.5 inch hot side piping and 3inch cold side....is yours twin turbo? you still have the stock dumps then 3inch off that?

Comment

what you mean it runs shit in hot days? like down on power? because that has nothing to do with engine temp means ya cooler is shit...thats why cold nites it goes better...because when the intake temps up the engine will pull timing out so it doesnt blow up...so you will still have the same boost but no punch because the timing is low...

prob just a mixture or piping and exhaust...if you punch ya cat you will prob be overboosting like mad...you might need to port the wastegate holes if you do any more exhaust mods and cant stop the over boost...maybe just check out the a/f ratio on the boost level its running atm and if its ok then dont worry about it

Comment

Working...
                  X