My 7mgte quetions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 7mgte quetions

Posting this up to keep all my tech questions together that are to come over the next few weeks.

I have lots of work to do, both on all my cars and the same shit we all do (fam, fix shit around the house, clean yards etc. etc.) and have very little time for research, and need you all to help me out (like boris's stupidly long overly detailed style posts, which I kind of like)

But I only have 2 weeks, after that qldgz20's heading back up north.
    I wont say he's the only one who's helped me, but he has taught me the most, and even though he's only just finally f*^$%^& got a z20, he knows more than most here, and is more capable than any workshop I have ever encountered. (still learning the 1g/7m/z20 specifics, so in a way your a NOOB!)

So,

7m pcv system?
    Whats the deal with these?

My catch can dont fit, Im too poor and lazy to make it fit or buy the required 500 meters of lines needed to mount it in the boot, although this is my only option, aside from buying another, much smaller, or even worse an ebay spec one

Cant use factory setup (AN fittings) but may be able to work it out
    (FYI AN stands for army navy )

Can someone explain why its bad to vent these to atmosphere, and consequences for doing so? (without me spending 4 hours on google, supramania, toymods etc.)

other than that I dont have any more for now, when I get stuck or think of something I need to know I will post, please help even if its just links etc.
    Originally posted by coFF33
    Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
    Originally posted by GEEZ20
    quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
    7m

"Can someone explain why its bad to vent these to atmosphere, and consequences for doing so? "

EPA

Comment

Been there done that lol, twice in 1 day, also 1st day out in it
      officer was awesome, only waited around for like an hour or so, so he could pull me over
      average saturday in that area wouldve been at least 4 stabbings, 3 car accidents and a few rapes during this time frame...

Somehow a loud car is a much bigger risk though

Dont get me wrong, I love koalas and skippys and trees n shit but its kind of rediculous now

I meant like what affects does it have on performance etc? is it just a massive vacuum leak? something worse?

seen a couple guys block them temporarily, is this worse than atmo?
      Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it

7m

Comment

you dont wanna block it off as the crank case will pressurize and start poping the dipstick out, can you fit it down the front behind the bumper or somthing.

re being a leak it more a pressure release for any blowby that gets into the bottom end, you want a catch can to catch any oil that comes out then plum the can back infront of the turbo to suck the noxious gas back into the motor to get burned.
        http://garageslipway.wordpress.com/sigpic

Comment

nah had it there, with filter on same side, didnt fit
          well it did, just not with the headlight, but who needs them things?
          cooler piping in the way other side

boot it is

7m

Comment

The purpose is to vent any blowby gasses back into the intake to be burnt off for emissions regulations.

The nature of the way the engine works is that there will always be some gas leaking past combustion area because it's impossible to have it 100% sealed, so this gas needs to go somewhere, because venting is against emissions regulations, it gets recirculated and burnt off again.

If you block off the outlets of the valve covers then you will blow your seals on the valve cover, it's the same thing on cars which have PCV Filters that get blocked with gunk over the years, you will have mysterious leaks from oil caps etc, seals.

Venting to the atmosphere would be against emissions regulations, as you are venting a byproduct gas of combustion into the atmosphere, before reaching the catalytic converter. This is the reason why the small amount of gas from the combustion chamber that leaks past the rings etc has to be recirculated.

I think the 7m-gte has two fittings on each cam cover which join together to a common pipe above it, one side of that pipe goes to the turbo inlet, and other side goes to the inlet manifold. If it's really like that, I'm wondering if there is some sort of one way valve there to prevent the turbo sucking air away from the manifold on boost, otherwise you could lose a bit of power if the turbo is trying to suck air away from the inlet manifold.
            Last edited by Z2TT; 31-10-2012, 02:53 PM.
            - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

not really mate, toyotas design on the pc system is pretty decent
              constant vac, from tb under neg pressure, from turbo intake under boost, no real boost leak from the tb side under boost

7m

Comment

Working...
              X