R154

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R154

so i see marlin crawler thrust washers + billet 1-2 forks around for years, but how neccassary are they for a street/occasional drift car? my plan for the 1jz is a single +the most out of 2jz injectors+safc so far but im not really sure how far i want to take it power wise/how broke i want to be
    to get them landed with shifter socket+bushing its about us $260, prices are almost identical on driftmotion. and also a bearing retainer plate would be an additional 60 then a rebuild kit is about 250... so 580+box price and my own labour for a rebuilt strengthened r154! people want 3 grand for that kind of thing. if only i got around to it when their dollar was shit.

anyway whats everyones opinions and past experiences with r154's rebuilt and not

im curious about this too
    MZ20 factory manual - race car in the making

No JZ good shit
    #1 reason for 7M failure
    Stupid broke tight arse knowitall kids.

Comment

i have no experiance, but have been reading on and off for years,i dont recall ever reading of broken forks, just washers, id go a bearing retainer and washer for insurance.

heaps of people run them without and have no issue, but they are getting hard to find these days.
      http://garageslipway.wordpress.com/sigpic

Comment

You can get all of the marlin crawler parts from a reseller in Perth, locktup4x4.com. That's where I got mine from.

http://locktup4x4.com.au/search/resu...d=R154&x=0&y=0

After I broke my W58 I didn't want it to happen to the more expensive R154. The upgrade is worth it for peace of mind. You should never be able to break it (unless 400kw + slicks)
        Soarer Motorkhana
        Soarer Drift
        Soarer Hillclimb
        Promo Video

Comment

yeah i stripped my own gearbox down (unknown condition) was just told it was in good nick, and checking things like fork-collar clearance they all seem ok, none of the selector shafts where bent, most forks seemed ok even the fork finger-tip... bushings? where all pretty good. however that being said i found some splinters? coming off of the 1-2 shift fork, i will post some photos tomorrow. i havent disassembled the outputshaft to get to the thrust washers yet might do it too. thanks RxDrift i was gonna message you i remember reading that you got your marlin crawlers bits from perth. ive rang around locally and no one can help me. anyway heres a photo because gearboxes look awesome

Comment

The Perth place offers free postage and it looks like they have stock?
            Soarer Motorkhana
            Soarer Drift
            Soarer Hillclimb
            Promo Video

Comment

yeah i had a look and 392 for the lot including shifter socket and bush, free shippings a plus but ill have a good look tomorrow and consider if its necassary and maybe ring around some random shops off google and see what i can find

did you get a rebuild kit through them aswell?

Comment

I didn't rebuild. Just put the MC parts in. I don't know much about gboxes so tried to keep it simple. I think i might've got a few of the clearances wrong though because it's a pretty tight box!
                Soarer Motorkhana
                Soarer Drift
                Soarer Hillclimb
                Promo Video

Comment

I would at least do the washer. I have a broken R154 on the floor, the washer gave way on the at a test day at Wakefield Park. There was no warning, the car was going well changing gear well etc, then all or a sudden there was a big grinding noise from gearbox, it totally wrecked the gearbox. I had never broken a gearbox in live before that, so it wasn't just me.

I replaced it with a Giken gear set R154 which had the stronger washer put on it, and have not had a problem since. Personally I would worry about all the special shifter forks type stuff.

Comment

good advice id hate to chew an already expensive box.
                    these are the splinters i found on the fork. the clearance however is within spec (collar spline-fork groove=clearance ) cant remember actual figures but if my r154 is the same as an r151f its alright haha

Comment

fork groove - collar spline*

Comment

so finally get my parts and arse into gear and disassemble main shaft. all 5 synchros are different. and also 1st and 2nd are double synchros. r154 kit from states. bearings are identical and so are seals. have i got an R155/151 or have they sent me a kit for an R155/151.

i ended up only buying the thrust washer because while i was deciding what to do the dollar dropped and that shit cost me 108 dollars is it is.

Comment

all 5 of my synchros are different to the replacement synchros **

Comment

if anyone has any idea that would be awesome

Comment

All lies. Deleted post.
                              THE TRUTH:
                              33367-35010 1990-93 (all of them) JZA70 R154 synchroniser NO.1
                              33367-35010 10/1992-03/1994 JZX90 R154 synchroniser NO.1
                              33367-35080 04/1994-08/1994 (this also comes up under a 1995 JZX90) JZX90 R154 synchroniser NO.1
                              33367-35080 1997 JZX100 R154 synchroniser NO.1
                              33367-60040 2000 JZX100 R154 synchroniser NO.1

I found that 33367-35010, as well as the other synchros non genuine equivalent to be the wrong synchros for my gearbox.
                              I found a different part number, 33367-35080, and i ordered two of these from japan. THEY WERE WRONG. luckily sent back at no cost.
                              I then re-assembled my box with the old synchronisers

Im assuming, and dont hold it to me, That the 2000 model synchroniser from a JZX100 (33037-60040) is of the double ring synchroniser type.

So hopefully if someone searches R154 double synchro. They wont have to look far!
                              Also what the fuck toymods, there are no diagrams anymore. Dick move by toyota apparently.
                              I have access to toyotas EPC so if you ever need a diagram message me and ill scan it and sent it to you!
                              Last edited by nalchlan; 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X