Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change my fuel pump??

hey guys,

im changing my fuel pump at the end of this week, and am just wondering what i need to do? Do i need to drop the petrol tank 2 get to the pump, or is it accessible via the boot. i cant see any inspection covers in the boot for it...

im either putting a 2jzgte pump in, or im goin with a walbro 255lph...

how easy is the wiring btw?

thanks in advance.

- THOR -

1JZ, R154, Stock Twins, Twin intake Pipes, Twin Dumps, 2JZ Cams, Cam Gears, Modified Intake Manifold, Apexi Power FC, STD (DG5- Keiichi Tsuchiya) custom spec Coilovers, JIC Camber Arms, Whiteline Swaybars F+R, Battle Version Rear Traction and Camber Arms, Strut Braces F+R and Locked Diff...

you need to drop the tank and its only three wires
    Last edited by v8gz20; 31-03-2009, 05:16 PM.
    Half of the GTR's power comes from boost and not torque.

Comment

thx, is dropping the tank a one man job?

lol, and also...how hard is actually dropping the tank??

thanks v8gz20

1JZ, R154, Stock Twins, Twin intake Pipes, Twin Dumps, 2JZ Cams, Cam Gears, Modified Intake Manifold, Apexi Power FC, STD (DG5- Keiichi Tsuchiya) custom spec Coilovers, JIC Camber Arms, Whiteline Swaybars F+R, Battle Version Rear Traction and Camber Arms, Strut Braces F+R and Locked Diff...

Comment

its not real hard just have empty tank to make it easy, jack the back of the car up undo the 4 scews inside the fuel flap and take off the fuel cap, undo the 2 fuel lines at the front of the tank 1s just a hose clamp the other i think you need a 14 and 17mm spanner to undo the join, once that is done undo the to metal strap that hold the tank they are helled up by 2 17mm nuts at the front of the tank

Comment

to get the fuel pump out there are a bunch of 8mm bolts in the top plate if you lose one dont repace it with a longer bolt because you will damage the tank

Comment

yep do wat uzz20 says.
            putting it bak on is a bitch tho.
            using a hydrolic jack will helps alot if ur doing it solo.

why isnt ur car running mate?
            Soareless

Comment

Originally posted by lee3671987 View Post
              yep do wat uzz20 says.
              putting it bak on is a bitch tho.
              using a hydrolic jack will helps alot if ur doing it solo.

why isnt ur car running mate?
              hmm, well lets put it this way, i hadnt hurt the car for bout a week LOL, so i took it into the back of malaga (after hours) and drifted a few corners... as i was coming round a left hander- just after apex (top of 2nd gear), my engine decides to shut off 4 a few seconds...then my car gripped lol, and headed for the HUGE curb, but i didnt hit luckly....

i drove down the road real slow ("grannny shiftin not double clutchin like you should") and my engine kept turnin on and off.. did it 4 bout a min every 10 seconds or so, then it just turned off n wouldnt turn back on... in the middle of no where!

i got a tow home wit my bros jeep.. basically il turn ignition on and my pump isnt makin a noise anymore like it used to... and i used some Nulon 'Start ya Bastard' stuff in the intake, n it started for a few seconds then shut right off again...so my pump is cactus!

ive got a Walbro 550 pump in my lounge.. goin in on monday mornin!

Comment

whooa same thing happend to me 2months ago, but its not the fuel pump.

mine just stop and wont turn on at all (in the middle of the road) lol.
                was soo worried, i thought my ecu just died or something lol.

so i took the fuel tank out and checked the fuel pump and it works when i power it.
                wat happend was the fuel pump relay was fuked, soo i ran a new relay in and tadaah.

i assume u still got the stock pump yea?
                Last edited by lee3671987; 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM.
                Soareless

Comment

Just wondering, is the fuel pump on when the Key is set to "ignition" on the GZ20/MZ20's, or does the fuel pump only turn on when you start the car?
                  - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
                  - All Circuits
                  - Every Connector
                  - Completely in English.

Comment

yes i am still running my stock pump at the moment.. unless the previous owner changed it, but i doubt it... plus my car dynod at 193rwkw at 12psi (without touching boost) and my car is leaning out past 4000rpm.. after that rpm its like 13-1 ...which is too lean lol! my max power is also only met at 5500rpm aswel... which is gay! so im havin my stock fuel pump is contributin 2 that aswel!

but itl be gone and swapped on monday 4 a walbro 550 (got it in my lounge )

cant wait!!

btw Z2TT, the fuel pump should turn on when you turn the ignition ON yes... if you listen carefully, you should hear it

- THOR -

Comment

Working...
                    X