Cleaning Those Foggy/Clouded Headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Those Foggy/Clouded Headlights

Well after 20 Years you can't expect your Soarer headlights to be pristine and shiny, but you can do something about it! Every Soarer owner gets the headlight cloud eventually.. Z30 owners included. This guide is a how to on cleaning them up.

Pop the hood, lets get started. First remove your headlights.

Remove the clips out of all your lightbulbs and dont forget the optical connection to your VIP spec fender lights also.

Take EXTREME care in popping out the side indicators. There are two pin clips that its attached to the body with. These snap very easily so take caution. Insert a flathead screwdriver in the rear of the indicator and prise it out gently. You may want to switch this around if its a bit sticky and prise it from the front between the indicator/headlight gently also. Eventually it will just pop out if you're careful enough.

These are your indicator clip plugs. As I said above, careful not to damage them.

Then remove the last 3 bolts/nuts holding the headlight in.

Now go inside and fire up your Oven. Set it at 150 degrees celsius, preheat 10 minutes. Put a headlight in there and set the timer for no more than 5-6 minutes. Make sure you remove the rubber bulb surrounds, all retaining clips and the bulbs before you do this.

After about 6 minutes, the sealant/adhesive that bonds the clear front cover of the headlights to the frame should be gooey and soft. Taking a screwdriver you can prise the two sections apart gently. Careful though as the light will be hot. You might want to grip it with a teatowel while you do this. Dont let the missus/mum catch you doing it though. In fact, I should make it quite clear at this point that you shouldn't be even using her oven if shes around. This will either result in a) 'what the fuck are you doing dirtying up my oven?' or b) 'oh its good to see you're so enthusiastic in the kitchen, maybe you can learn to cook!'. Both of which are fatal outcomes.

Now there are many ways to do this, but this is my personal favourite. Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0. Because the gunk stuck to your headlights is kind of like a scum/oxide layer on the outer i find this stuff to work well. Basically its a light cut and polish for paintwork, but works extremely well on cleaning up frosted/foggy taillights as well. Just squirt some on a good buffing rag/polishing cloth and get to rubbing it till its all shiny and clean. Inside and out. I found a lot of the crap on my headlights was on the outer so i didn't need to do much to the inside. There are other ways of doing this as well. I've head Brasso and a brillo pad works well, along with Wet and Dry sandpaper. Once you have cleaned it up.. Put both sections back together and pop it in the oven for another 1-2 minutes. Take it out and then press the sections together firmly while the adhesive is still gooey. Put all retaining clips, and bulbs back in and you're done.

And look at the amazing difference! Now all you need to do is repeat for the other side and then work backwards to put the lights back in your car and be travelling with ultra clean headlights!

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
    | Black Knight
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
    B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Awsome, will be trying this with my spare set !

thanks Hamgatan!!!
    coFF33.wordpress.com

Comment

Thats a huge difference Hammy, I tried this a few weeks back, the glue is a major pita..

I tried sanding with 2000 grit wet and dry, then went over with Meguiars ScratchX but it didn't clear them up that well, and I can still see the scatch marks from the sanding.

I did the drivers side first.. used the oven method and sanded the inside also.. but for the passenger side I didn't bother and did outside only. My passenger side actually looks a fraction clearer because I didn't sand the inside as well.
      I need to redo them using a different compound I guess.

Comment

im glad i have 2 sets of clear headlights

Comment

sweet work hamgatan

for those that dont want to go and pull out headlights etc there are a few other ways this can be done by simply rub on rub off option of toothpaste (not with all colours etc) or some carnauba wax will also do the job

Comment

i used stainless steel polishing paste on mine...worked a treat
            good thread though ...well done

Comment

Originally posted by jabtronic View Post
              Thats a huge difference Hammy, I tried this a few weeks back, the glue is a major pita..

I tried sanding with 2000 grit wet and dry, then went over with Meguiars ScratchX but it didn't clear them up that well, and I can still see the scatch marks from the sanding.

I did the drivers side first.. used the oven method and sanded the inside also.. but for the passenger side I didn't bother and did outside only. My passenger side actually looks a fraction clearer because I didn't sand the inside as well.
              I need to redo them using a different compound I guess.
              You used 2000 grit and you can see scratchmarks? you must have not used enough water, or scrubbed too hard.

Anyway I did a quick job without taking mine apart, I used jif which is for cleaning kitchens, and it does a great job.

Like mentioned, you can always make do with toothpaste.

Very good guide Hamgatan
              - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
              - All Circuits
              - Every Connector
              - Completely in English.

Comment

this actually helped alot i just needed to get smashed front indicator off and switched it with a new one
                Politics make me soooo horny!

Comment

DAMMET.. my oven not big enouff.. any other ways to soften up the sealent.. A heat gun maybee?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't, purely because a heat gun has a directed blast of heat thus it's easy to melt plastic if you aren't careful.

I want to add to the above as well though in reiterating to people, before you prise your lights apart, make sure you give the outsides a good buff first. You may find that the majority of your problem lies on the outside of the light rather than the inside. Also as far as product goes, I've found Meguiars SwirlX and PlastX work exceptionally well at cleaning up the lights.

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
                    1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
                    | Black Knight
                    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
                    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
                    B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

+1 for plastx

Comment

all good i jamd them in but had to have the door open abit... now my house is a sauna but i got the job done!

Comment

haha dedication lol
                          Grey '86 Z20, Full silver kit, Factory manual + few little things. Very slowly progressing

Comment

Nothing wrong with using a heat gun, thats how I've done my ones (pretty sure I'd get crucified if I tried sticking car parts in our oven ).

Just make sure you don't have it too close and you move it around evenly.

Also ensure you reheat when you re-assemble so you don't have gaps which will create condensation in your lights.
                            Moo

Comment

I'm doing this process now drivers side done it looks 100x better and i hit the worst one first the other one will be a breeze been at the drivers side for over an hour cleaning them right up passenger side will be a breeze thanks for the help was tempted to find someone and pay them to do it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X