Defect Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defect Question

Hey guys, got defected earlier today & ust wanted some info from those who have been through regency before.

Demister- I know they check this, but how do I tell if it's working properly or not? I only ask because when I've used it before it didn't do a whole lot to unfog the rear window...or does it work on the fronts? (yes i'm retarded)

Pod filter- some people get through with them...however I've made myself a heat shield out of sheet metal to keep it in place & enclosed. No sharp edges, does the job but obviously looks cheap. Will this do?

Steering wheel- it's a stockish momo one, which is legal, but its on a hks boss kit..not a matching momo one. Thoughts?

Exhaust- has a new cat & a new muffler, 3" system with twin pipes (cut down to bumper so legal). Not sure if it's over 90db, do they test it on idle? Up rev it to 3k? Thanks.

Also if anyone in adelaide has these parts, I'd love to borrow them to get through regency, if you would be kind enough ^^

-stock springs
    -factory airbox

Cheers guys. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by initial_dan; 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM.
    z20 Stylin'

Originally posted by initial_dan View Post
    Hey guys, got defected earlier today & ust wanted some info from those who have been through regency before.

Demister- I know they check this, but how do I tell if it's working properly or not? I only ask because when I've used it before it didn't do a whole lot to unfog the rear window...or does it work on the fronts? (yes i'm retarded)

Pod filter- some people get through with them...however I've made myself a heat shield out of sheet metal to keep it in place & enclosed. No sharp edges, does the job but obviously looks cheap. Will this do?

Steering wheel- it's a stockish momo one, which is legal, but its on a hks boss kit..not a matching momo one. Thoughts?

Exhaust- has a new cat & a new muffler, 3" system with twin pipes (cut down to bumper so legal). Not sure if it's over 90db, do they test it on idle? Up rev it to 3k? Thanks.

Also if anyone in adelaide has these parts, I'd love to borrow them to get through regency, if you would be kind enough ^^

-stock springs
    -factory airbox

Cheers guys. Wish me luck.
    front demister is supposed to work but as long as air blows on front window should be legal

pod filter has to be enclosed so it cant be touched

steeriong wheel, anything is legal, its only illegal to change it if the stock has an airbag

exhaust any cop is gonna have a go at but if its under i think 92db should be fine
    Z20 SOARER WHORE (totalling 21 z20s so far)
    PREVIOUS RIDES - 5 GZ20 soarers, 4 MZ20 soarer, 2 MZ20 aerocabins soarers, 9 MZ21 soarers, 530hp 2jz MZ20 Soarer
    CURRENT - drift soarer with carbon fibre bonnet and boot and 8point cage, factory manual mz21 and aerocabin

Comment

Demister: So long as the light turns on your all good. They will check that your heater fan etc works though. They won't actually test to see if its effective or not.

Pod filter: All good so long as it is secure ie. Solid: No movement if you grab it and try to shake it.

Steering wheel: Replace with a factory one from another Toyota or a Soarer. Don't risk failing because of this. Unlikely it will pass with a HKS boss kit. They need to be ADR approved along with the steering wheel and be a certain size etc. I have a factory cruise control wheel I can lend you if you need it. Wont work unless you have cruise though. I personally use a Celica gt4 st205 wheel for regency occasions so its likely you could find a st162/182 etc wheel at u pull it on the cheap.

Exhaust: Well thats a tough one because it doesn't sound like you can silence yours easily. If you can get some kind of slip in silencers that will fit in your tips I would try that. That said first time I went through I passed because the battery went flat on their tester. Second time I went through they didn't test it at all. Both times I just had a slip in silencer fitted. They get you to rev your car at 3000rpm for the test. If you are in doubt take it to an exhaust shop and get it tested before you go.

Comment

Pod filter must be secured as well as enclosed

Comment

http://www.z20soarer.org/forums/show...p?t=696&page=6 bit of a write up on my experience on this page.

With regards to the enclosed pod filter thing. Here is a picture of the setup I have passed with twice. Only difference between the two times being the brand of pod filter.

Comment

Thanks guys.

My demister button lights up, so should be sweet.

I do have a factory steering wheel but it's a bit shabby. It's cruise control & has like 5-6 buttons on the front with jap writing on them, so might stick that on. Regency said momo is fine, but I might just take em both with me.

Yeh the exhaust isn't too loud on idle, but might be over 90db at 3k, will get it tested.

I'll take an engine bay shot & a shot of the steering wheel tommorow & see what you guys reckon. Thanks for quick replies, goes in to regency in 2 weeks.
            z20 Stylin'

Comment

I've got a baffle plate that you can put between the flanges in your exhaust. I used it on my journey through regency. Made it 5 or so db quieter.
              Soarer Motorkhana
              Soarer Drift
              Soarer Hillclimb
              Promo Video

Comment

Sweet, thanks again man might have to borrow that one too haha.
                z20 Stylin'

Comment

Forgot to mention I also have a set of 4 struts with springs you can borrow in exchange for beer so long as I get them back asap. With my luck Ill be needing them myself shortly lol

Comment

Sounds good man, PM me details.
                    z20 Stylin'

Comment

Quick question guys (I'll ring regency tomorrow to double check)

I took my gauge out my air vent but left the vacuum hose hidden in there still (blocked)...is this defectable? Can't see why it would be.

Also my factory steering wheel is a bit worn around the edges and faded, problem? (horn still works, centre padding part is still mint)

Thanks guys, and thanks to RXDrift & Enflamed for letting me borrow some shiz to get through.
                      z20 Stylin'

Comment

not sure about SA but as long as the steering wheel pad cant be turned or moved by hand and its still solid, a few rough patches shouldnt matter.
                        1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
                        1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

Regarding steering wheel - momo and boss kit is fine but the two main things are the horn must function and the indicators MUST SELF CANCEL! That's very important.

Regarding pod filter, it's okay so long as its mounted to the chassis in two places.

JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
                          1JZ-GTE + R154 + Garrett T04S/External Gate + 550cc + Bosch 040 + KoyoRad + Custom Plenum + 90mm TB + Kaaz 1.5Way + Cusco Comp-S + Cusco Strut Brace + Nightpager 4 Pot Conversion + HID's [GZ 20 WA]
                          | Black Knight
                          JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V Sugoi Ne~! | 270rwhp of Green Apple Splatters!
                          GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and in MINT Unmolested Condition.
                          B7 2005 Audi A4 TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin My Pimp Hand Strong.

Comment

I would have just left the gauge in the vent unless its ridiculously protruding. Took mine through with a boost gauge in no probs. Also if you are stressed about your steering wheel I have one you can borrow if you can be arsed driving all the way back out here again lol. I doubt you will have any issues with yours though.

Comment

Working...
                            X