Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox position? Cracking manual surround

Hey guys,

My car has had an r154 conversion at some stage, and when I select reverse the gearstick moves quite far back, hitting the manual surround, which has destroyed it over time (was like this when purchased).

I want to buy a new manual surround but don't want it getting cracked, is there a simple way to fix this or is it a matter of moving the whole gearbox forward? A big job I'm guessing.

Thanks.
    z20 Stylin'

id say its the shifter, if the r154 was from a jza70 then the shifter position will be wrong and it will hit the shroud slightly.

Best way to check is to take the boot and shroud off and take the shifter out and have a look at the shape even take a photo and post it up so we can identify which shifter you have.
    1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
    1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

I vote its either really badly flogged shifter bushes (there are two) or the shifter was inserted 180 degrees backwards, although from memory that would make it too far forward (there is a dogleg on the shifter).

From memory there is only two types of R154, rear shift and remote shift. If it was remote shift, your gearstick would be coming up where your lumbar control is. However somebody may have used the extended dogleg shifter from an early JZZ30 on an MA70/JZA70 box, although I would expect this would prevent you even getting into 2nd, 4th and reverse.

So after all that, I go with my first opinion Does the gearstick feel "floppy" when you wiggle it? Kind of like shooting cooked spaghetti at a dartboard when you try to find a gear? Much like hamgatan when he beds a woman of the human variety... all limp noodle, no fun in the hole...
      Moo

Comment

Hahaha. It would all sourced from a jza70 halfcut. Gearbox feels notchy and reasnobly tight, do you mean is it floppy IN GEAR or in neutral...which would always flop around lol. I'm retardo.

I'll get some pics of the shifter soon, thanks so far guys!
        z20 Stylin'

Comment

Pull the geat stick out and put it in a vice slightly bend it forward will solve your problem
          soarer number 7 lol im catching up guilty lol

Comment

these shifters are very hard to bend ive tried would need to heat em up alot.

Comment

Moo

Comment

Originally posted by VasH View Post
                these shifters are very hard to bend ive tried would need to heat em up alot.
                ive bent several r154 shifters man when using early jza70 r154's in jzz30 soarer's and jzs147 aristo's
                they arnt that hard if you have some decent leverage

Comment

i must be unlucky then i snapped my vice in half trying to bend it lol

Comment

Originally posted by VasH View Post
                    i must be unlucky then i snapped my vice in half trying to bend it lol
                    Very unlucky or shit vice or both lol

Comment

i had the same problem when i dun my conversion. get the shifter out of a w58 box, it bolts straight in an it'll solve ur problem

Comment

My new manual surround arrived today so I'm going to bend my current shifter in a vice so it doesn't crack it.

As for bushes, is this what I would be looking for?
                        http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-SU...item1e7376e35d

How hard are they to change? Can I do it from inside the car? Cheers.
                        z20 Stylin'

Comment

Working...
                        X