Problematic gz20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic gz20

Today i test drive a gz20 advertised as showroom condition.
    http://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=44074531
    The body was great and straight.
    However...i found some leaks under the car. The dealer started the car and we heard some aweful whining noise. I guessed it was the power steering pump, and sure enough when the car was moved so that we could study the puddle, it was indeed power steering fluid.
    The power steering felt heavy and the rack had play.

There was smoke coming out of the exhaust and for sure is burning oil. It could be valve seals, piston rings, turbos, or all at once. All the gauges works well, power windows worked great..but the rear shocks were noisy . The car has TEMS.
    Also the aircon wasnt working. Bushes felt fine because the car wasnt drifting around.

The dealer is still acting in a cavalier way as if those are all small problems. Assuming i can lower the price to a comfortable level to factor in repairs.
    Is the Tems rear shock still available ? Or perhaps what afternarket shocks that will fit. I want to reuse the original springs.
    Next..as for the smokey engine, do you think its just the turbos ? There were no rod knock noise and no piston slap as well as loose valve tappet clearance sound.
    Also which aircon compressor will fit besides supra mk3 ( perhaps camry).
    And as for power steering pump and rack, what options do i have ?
    The gearbox worked fine, so did diff..power windows..seats.

Your best off just replacing the TEMS with standard suspension. GA70 and MA70 supra is the same. Or adjustable coilovers.

Leaking power steering racks is very common with soarers probably best to get it rebuilt also check the lines they can develop leaks as well.

What color is the smoke from the exhaust it could be turbo seals but also could be blown head gasket. Did it get hot or above normal temperature at all?

The aircon could be out of gas or maybe the compressor is leaking best to take it to a shop to get it serviced.
    1989 JZZ20 Soarer 1JZGTE, The Project.
    1992 LN106 Hilux 4x4 5L, The Daily

Comment

Originally posted by VasH View Post
      Your best off just replacing the TEMS with standard suspension. GA70 and MA70 supra is the same. Or adjustable coilovers.

Leaking power steering racks is very common with soarers probably best to get it rebuilt also check the lines they can develop leaks as well.

What color is the smoke from the exhaust it could be turbo seals but also could be blown head gasket. Did it get hot or above normal temperature at all?

The aircon could be out of gas or maybe the compressor is leaking best to take it to a shop to get it serviced.
      Thanks VASH for your response.
      The coolant temperature stayed right in the middle of the 25 min engine on time, which consisted of 15min idling and 10 min drive. We could smell oil being burnt, and there was smoke even on start up. As far as i could tell, no signs of BHG.
      For the power steering pump, has anyone tried fitting one from some other car besides A70 , like a mercedes or something.

I am still waiting for the dealer to come back to me, but since he just sold a 1989 300X and with a NSX coming in soon, i guess he would be in no hurry to come back to me.
      Last edited by alcyon; 22-05-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Often valve stem seals can be bad causing some smoke on first start and warming up.
        power steering hoses and racks do leak often but it is fixable.

Common for compressors to be dead in these cars or out of gas due to leak most commonly from A/C compressor.

You would need to try Toyota to see if strut still available I have never been able to find aftermarket companies that do OEM replacement strut, perhaps maybe exist in Japan only.
        - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

Thanks Z2TT.
          For now I am still holding off till the seller is willing to sell at a more reasonable price. He is asking too high for a car that needs a lot of work. Its tough trying to talk to people who think these problems are small and simple to fix, obviously some one who knows squat about cars.
          I mean after all, this is a soarer not a in demand AE86.
          It has been sitting on his lot for 2 1/2 years, and no one else seems interested for the price that he is asking.

Comment

Just struck a deal with dealer, the car is mine. Payment to be made tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X