Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Rear 1/4 Window Seal/Strips - Avaliable Soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Yeah this is probably for stuff that they already have in stock, nobody will have anything similar to the z20 rear 1/4 windows, but they'll probably have something Similar to sunroof or Aeroroof seals.

I even had a look at a catalogue of a place that makes all the window seals for Frames used in Schools, Commercial Buildings etc and they had nothing like it.

Basically I looked into doing this, to get the die made it's about $2000-$4000,
    The die is the template they push the molten raw material through, basically like how you push playdough through a Star that makes a star shape.

To make the z20 one is very difficult, because it's very small and some parts when pushed through, the flaps stick to eachother as they are drying etc

and even then you can't just order 200 Meters of it, it has to be at least 5000, or 6000+. Some places were cheaper than others.

I found a place that did it for a cheaper price which was a tad bit more affordable, the die is made and I have a brand new 1/4 window seal sample with me, but the person who was doing my project lost his job, so I got to wait until somebody else can pick up from him on my project.

I'm Pretty much in the Final step of doing this, the sample I got is pretty good, I'm going to try it out and if it's acceptable then its no problem.

So.... when there is an update sometime in the future if anything happens, I will let everybody know.
    Last edited by Z2TT; 28-10-2012, 08:26 PM.
    - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
    - All Circuits
    - Every Connector
    - Completely in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Z2TT View Post
      Oh Yeah this is probably for stuff that they already have in stock, nobody will have anything similar to the z20 rear 1/4 windows, but they'll probably have something Similar to sunroof or Aeroroof seals.
      just like toyota had no more manual surrounds according to everyone, including me, jesse, and everyone else I spoke to about it

be careful what you post, you may be made to eat those words (as was I)

so, 2000-4000 for a mould?
      a rather large estimate for something thats already made, but even at the prices quoted I dont think its a bad deal, pending final quality etc.

I'll try chase something up for you but have been swamped
      Originally posted by coFF33
      Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
      Originally posted by GEEZ20
      quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
      7m

Comment

Yes that is the tooling cost that most places quoted me, it's not large at all for people who are making thousands of cars or are manufacturing things on the large scale who need 10's of thousands of meters of stuff.... It would not be worth it for the company to set aside a few employees to work on something that they will only sell 500 meters of something to a guy who wants to re-sell it to his car club, combined with the fact that companies like this have huge customers who already buy heaps of stuff of them, it's not like they are any more profitable if they earn an extra thousand dollars off somebody else to even have to bother.

If you can find rear 1/4 window Seals from a place other than Toyota who have them on shelf then that is great there may be places in Japan but that takes time sending Emails in Japanese or getting somebody to do it for you I have not even seen these on Yahoo Japan and as they are a common problem I would have expected somebody to try replicate them.

If anything maybe Windscreen or Auto-Rubber shops in Japan might sell it.
        Last edited by Z2TT; 28-10-2012, 09:13 PM.
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

sorry, I meant that a gap of $2000 (2-4k) is a large gap for something you apparently already have
          I doubt it cost you this much even if thats the prices other places quoted you

I will try japan and this other place and pass on details etc.

they basically told me on the phone they would "have reels full of the shit" but I did have my doubts about it....

Have been told really good things by others chasing older rare rubbers and seals that are no longer made

not trying to piss you off, just my opinions and advice
          Originally posted by coFF33
          Its very easy if your not retarded. If you are retarded and dont like to get dirty and try hard, then forget about it
          Originally posted by GEEZ20
          quicker than a super car??? what engine are u packing?

Originally posted by Sports sedan
          7m

Comment

Now looking for somebody in Perth who has a Spare z20 wreck or shell to let me do testing on the fitment of the 1/4 Window Seal. If I'm satisfied with how my current samples fit I'll get them produced.

Thanks.
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

Yes, I'm resurrecting an age old thread, but it's because I need some for my Aerocabin and they don't exist. Plus, I'm in Canada, and can't even order the parts through my dealer if they did exist. I know the amount of effort that goes into developing repro parts for older cars, so props to you for doing so.
              Have you had any success getting this off the ground?

Comment

This is a project I started but never finished. Seeing how many z20's had hardened and deformed seals, with no direct replica aftermarket replacements available.

I have spent a fair bit of funds, time and trial and error to get at least somewhere. I have had prototypes manufactured and still have them with me.

I'm willing to pass the project onto somebody who would like to complete it aswell as contact details for the manufacturer. Please understand you will need a decent amount of money to do a minimum run of 100's of meters, perhaps thousands to get a manufacturer to do a run for you.

It's not as easy as get something replicated only to find poor fitment, the hardness of material is important, too hard and it wont bend around the edges and deform quickly. Too soft and it may not hold shape or hold itself inside the gap.

A glue is reccomended to hold it in place. On corners you will need to cut small bits out of the material to avoid kinking while bending. I also reccomend buying a shell/wreck or chassis section so you can trial/test fit.
                - All Circuits
                - Every Connector
                - Completely in English.

Comment

Working...
                X