Newb from the States

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb from the States

Just recently picked up my first ever Toyota, which just happens to be a GZ20. Little bit of a stones through away from my usual Fox body Mustangs but so far I like it. I will try and get some pictures up as I dont have many of the car yet but I can snap a few tonight.

I am currently weighing my options on what to do with the 1G as I am starting to get some smoke on loaded decel and warm start up. Might be the turbos or it could be the rings who knows.

That smoke is indicative of worn valve stem seals. Toyota's of the vintage are notorious for it, my 1g's does the same thing :P. 1g's can be really awesome keen to see how it goes!
    86 mica red GZ20 manual

Comment

Originally posted by sammyboijenkins View Post
      That smoke is indicative of worn valve stem seals. Toyota's of the vintage are notorious for it, my 1g's does the same thing :P. 1g's can be really awesome keen to see how it goes!
      Valve stem seals are brand new

Comment

If it's valve stem seals it will be more noticeable after a day or two of not being started on the first start.
        - Complete English z20 Wiring Diagrams
        - All Circuits
        - Every Connector
        - Completely in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Z2TT View Post
          If it's valve stem seals it will be more noticeable after a day or two of not being started on the first start.
          Not a drop when you start it cold after a few days, only does is on loaded decel or when the car has been driven and warm on start up. Doesnt do it on the throttle at all or under load.

Comment

Could be a Turbo
            - All Circuits
            - Every Connector
            - Completely in English.

Comment

Could be a Turbo
              One of the plans is build a new manifold and go single turbo. Leaning towards a GTX3067R

Comment

Smoke on decel is generally your turbo oil rings or "seals".

7M's are really good for it
                Moo

Comment

Originally posted by Looonie View Post
                  Smoke on decel is generally your turbo oil rings or "seals".

7M's are really good for it
                  And headgaskets LOL

Comment

my 1G smoked like crazy while idling and parking, in between gears too. turbo seized, replaced them both, no smoke

Comment

Originally posted by nalchlan View Post
                      my 1G smoked like crazy while idling and parking, in between gears too. turbo seized, replaced them both, no smoke
                      Mine doesnt smoke at all when coasting or idle, I think the turbine seals are going. So it is time to send them off to Drift Motion or go single. Not sure which path I want to take.

Comment

Your not going to get much Value for money putting a single turbo on a 1g-gte.
                        If you do it yourself, for less money you can put a 1jz-gte in there and get a better driving car.
                        - All Circuits
                        - Every Connector
                        - Completely in English.

Comment

Your not going to get much Value for money putting a single turbo on a 1g-gte.
                          If you do it yourself, for less money you can put a 1jz-gte in there and get a better driving car.
                          This is true, however I am not huge on wiring and why Toyota ever integrated the engine harness with the body harness is beyond me. I would go single just to clean up the engine bay to be honest, I am not looking to make a ton of power and I would rather spend my time and money making it brake and handle better.

If I was going to do a swap it would be a 2JZ, although a 1UZ would be much more my style with a huge single on it

Comment

The engine harness is not integrated to the body harness, it has connectors that join it to the body harness and is removable.
                            - All Circuits
                            - Every Connector
                            - Completely in English.

Comment

The engine harness is not integrated to the body harness, it has connectors that join it to the body harness and is removable.
                              Maybe integrated was not the word. I am a big Ford guy and their engine harness never comes near the body loom so engine swaps are a day affair. Re pinning a harness is my idea of hell

Comment

Working...
                              X